Pages

Friday, September 11, 2009

The 4-1-1 On 9/11




Caption: Remember these things? I still have my version tucked away in a box somewhere...how about you?

Yes....I think We ALL know what TODAY is...unless maybe You've been in a Coma for the last Ten Years...and if You WERE in a Coma for the last Ten Years and You just now have woken up, I'm sorry.

(Both that You've been in a coma for Ten Years and that You've woken up to THIS Place!! )

Yes, a bit of dark Humour at the state of our Pop/Media/World/Human Culture in general (I.E. Paris Hilton as a celebrity...*cringes* )....and NO I don't seriously mean that...Well...COMPLETELY

So, in short, I'm not going to say much Here Today (really.) Because I don't think there really is all that much that needs to be said about Today.

There really ARE some Moments, Events, and Emotions in Time that are almost completely inexpressible, even by Writers, Poets, and the Troubadours...sometimes only the wine Fanatic really knows what course is best...or...to just let things BREATHE for awhile...just as they are. Today, I'll TRY and take his advice. (But if I fail, don't be too Mad at Me please! )

All I'm really going to say is, I know where I was when It happened, I'll never forget the dazed, CONSTANT stupefied look on Everyone's Face I saw, as I went through the Day and the eerie silence that rang out loud and clear over the American Skies. (And I live within about 5 miles or less of a major international Airport!)

I remember the Fear, the Panic, the Dust Clouds, the Images of Death, Rubble, Rescue, and 70 story Suicide. Oh, and that blue clear Sky that seemed to be all over the Country that Day...and the air of Dread.

BUT...when I think back to this Time...I don't choose primarily to focus on all those Things. Not the file Footage of News Stock that will be with Us forever, or the efforts of the Media to begin the reign of Censorship IMMEDIATELY after the Attacks happened. (Why did the Twin Towers have to be edited out of EVERY movie trailer? How silly...what?? No more "Rock The Casbah" on the radio? Whhhy??)


Nor will I recall all the Nostradamus Hysteria, and all those fake Photos that went out of "People in their last moments snapping Pics before the Planes hit." Nor will I focus on the Conspiracy Nuts or the Politicos on either side of that now soiled Aisle wanting to exploit Today for one pet Cause or the Other.

What always stays with Me is things like that Ribbon up There. After it happened, from beefy macho dude Trucker, to adorable pygmy cute Daycare Worker, We all HAD to wear one on Our Shirt. EVERYBODY was an American....we all wanted to be in this Thing Together and show It, and DO IT in any way that We knew how, whether it was saying "Hi" to Everybody we saw, opening doors to the store for People, or how many of Us scruffy, unclean unwashed slacker liberal artist Kids who were suddenly down at the Army Recruiter's Station at College and SERIOUSLY consideed enlisting, or willing to go to any little Kiosk or Truck We could find and give blood.


Screw Democrat, Republican, African-American, Irish-American, Burundian-American or Scotch-Korean-American...we were all together...for once.

And it really was just that once....FLASH...and it's gone...dust in the wind.....seems like another Lifetime ago now doesn't It?

I don't even think I look all that poorly Back now on those Opportunists and Scalper Types on late-night infomercial TV that were selling Chinese-made American Flag Sets to "commemorate 9/11" barely a month out...maybe It all wasn't so bad...

So yes indeed, Some are going to show all the horror Footage, Some may only talk about "looking forward" Some may try to sell You a Coin Set Today...but I for one am going to think about all the Positives...

...That neighbourly Spirit...that American Spirit.

Because even AFTER that Day, and even after Many having been There and back again from two Wars, and all the Politics, the In-Fighting, the Moments of Chaos, Stupidity, Celebrity, Economic Collapse, and all the rest of It...We're here, right?

Even though those Towers may have fallen...WE are still standing.

If you knew Someone Who tragically perished that Day, take a moment while You're at the Bar and raise a Glass up for the One that can't pick up and share It with You, or take a Moment of Silence and Think of them, or If You didn't know Anyone who died, take a Moment of Silence anyway and just think about It...

Think about who You were Then...and who You are Now...think about how much Things change...and YET how much They are the Same.

What was there in Our Hearts then hasn't really gone Anywhere has It? It's there for Us to find again...IF We want to.

In closing, remember Who You are....and remember that through It all, You're STILL standing.


WE are still standing.

~~ Silas DoGoode

1 comment:

  1. THAT is what a day of remembrance is supposed to be. It should not be demeaned into a benign day of service.

    ReplyDelete