Pages

Saturday, July 4, 2009

Essays--- "Thoughts on Writing In The English Language"



I have no certain Answer for Why I'm Writing this Now except simply that I felt Compelled to Jot something Down. It's Weird sometimes, You Think to yourself, "I have a new Notebook and a Pen I like to Use that still has enough Ink in it...Let's Scribble!!" So You Write, just because You Can, just Because You think You should.

I once took a test back when I was in School, It was the TAAS Test if I'm not Mistaken, and I was Reading one of those Articles in the "Reading Comprehension" portion of the Exam. Anyway, to get to the Point here, I Read this Article in It about this Hispanic Writer being Interviewed from South Texas (Laredo if Memory serves) and He gave this Single tidbit of Advice to Those who would want to Pursue the Profession of Writing....To Write Constantly....To do it Every single Day.

While it is an Interesting Concept, I Question whether it's Necessary to Write CONSTANTLY!
I don't Always put something Down, In fact I can go Weeks or even a Month without Writing a single Word. The Gentleman claimed the only way to truly become Goode at Writing is to Write everyday so One can Learn the proper forms most Importantly, as well as In Mastering new Words and Grammar.

Not surprisingly I Disagree.

I don't Think the Rules are all that Important in the Scheme of Writing (or a Hell of a lot much Else for that Matter!) While I suppose Practicing your Craft has its Place, it is the Content of your Message that really Counts. Shakespeare rountinely Coined new Words and Expressions for the English Language that are stille used Today, but anyone who has studied Knows that's really a Forgone Conclusion so why would I bother bringing It up? Dickens wrote in Run-On Sentences, which is Apparently okay because Dickens was a MASTER and his Works are Classics which We are All forced to Read in School (Okay, not ALL of us were forced...Hint Hint!) It is well for Him to break the "Rules" of Language, but not for the Student. Clearly, this is a Double Standard.

Anyone who uses the Language for specific Ends should be able to Tinker with It a Little. After all, the English of 2009 will certainly not be the Same as the English of 2409. Going to the Famous Writer Poets of English/World History and comparing their English to Ours makes this Self-Evident. Even comparing them to Each Other, Chaucer's "Middle English" the style of Shakespeare's "Elizabethan" Dialouge shows great Differences, and they were seperated Roughly by only 200 Years!! Just Imagine what the Language will Look like a Thousand Years from Now. (Scary!) Probably strikingly "Exotic" when compared to my Chicken-scratch Penmenship that I originally wrote this In!

My Point is, that History testifies to the "Evolving Nature" of Languages (both Written and Spoken) or even DE-Volve, depending on how You Look at it, and that in the End there really are no Rules. MLA and other "Writer''s Police" and the "Guardians of Literary Integrity" can make all the silly little Requirements that they want, but in the End, all those who Speak and Write in a Language OWN the Language...what works will stay in, what Doesn't will ultimately Disappear...one way or Another.

~ Silas DoGoode

No comments:

Post a Comment